What's happening, TSL Nation? I am fired up about Episode #682 because I learned how to run at my fears vs. letting my fears chase after me thanks to Evy Poumpouras' book, "Becoming Bulletproof. Protect Yourself. Read People. Influence Situations. Live Fearlessly." (All boxes checked for me!)
Poumpouras was a special agent for the Secret Service assigned to Presidential detail. (Uh wow!)
Your destiny is on the other side of your fears.
What is the thing you are most afraid of?
Using the concept of hormesis, you can learn to face your fears gradually. Flu vaccines are the best example of hormesis. A small dose of the flu virus is injected into your bloodstream to build your tolerance up.
In the same way, you can inject small doses of fear that carry low consequences into your day to build your tolerance up.
Want to speak better in public? Click here.
Want to be ready for the gnarliest customer? I got you here.
Want to be ready to hit the game-winning shot? Step to the line here.
Evy Poumpouras' 5 steps to overcoming your fear using hormesis:
1. Expose. (No trenchcoat required for this one.) What is the thing that scares you the most yet will lead to the most significant impact in your life? Expose yourself to that thing and learn to get familiar with it. (Hug your monsters, as Robin Sharma likes to say.)
2. Experience. Notice your F3 response. Fight. Flight or Freeze? Don't beat yourself up for your response-it's just how you are wired. When you exposed yourself to your fear, did you become aggressive (fight); did you run from the feeling (flight), or did you nut up (freeze)?
3. Adjust. Now that you've exposed yourself to your fear and noticed your F3 response, what adjustments need to be made? Was your breathing erratic? Did you not make eye contact? Was your cadence choppy?
4. Overcome. Even though you may need to make many adjustments, Poumpouras advises only to pick ONE. Master the ONE thing before moving to the next one.
5. Repeat. Rinse and repeat, baby. This is not a one-and-done scenario; this is a lifestyle change for you. Because fears will always be there, but now it'll cease being a threat and now become a challenge.
"Becoming Bulletproof" is a great read to keep on your Kindle or physical bookshelf. With nearly 3000 reviews, it has an average rating of 5 stars. It's that good.
I hope Evy can come on soon.
I go into so much more detail on The Sales Life Podcast. Check it out and subscribe here.
Remember, the greatest sale you will ever make is to sell you on you. Never settle. Keep selling no matter what.